HARDY HIKERS -- The Miller's Run School Hiking Club completed the fall season with a winter cookout at the picnic area halfway up Burke Mountain. Having recently heard the story, "To Build a Fire," by Jack London, they competed to make fires to cook their hot dog and s'more lunch. The mountain had received about 4 inches of snow, so the fire also warmed their hands! The Club hiked six local peaks this fall, and will travel to New Hampshire for a backpacking trip in the spring. Participating were, from left, Sabrina Batcheldor, Rochelle Mathewson, Jasmine Hubbard, Jasmin Baillargeon, Ariel Kittredge, Micheele Lapoint, Matt Badurski and Dylan Williams.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
A subscription opens up access to all our online content, including: our interactive E-Edition, a full archive of modern stories, exclusive and expanded online offerings, photo galleries from Caledonian-Record journalists, video reports from our media partners, extensive international, national and regional reporting by the Associated Press, and a wide variety of feature content.
- Asian shares rise on recovery hopes, markets eye earnings
- Samsung scion Lee won't appeal prison sentence for bribery
- Reigning champion Chiefs dump Bills 38-24 in AFC title game
- AP Source: Sarah Sanders running for Arkansas governor
- AP source: Biden to drop Trump's military transgender ban
- Asia Today: Australia OKs Pfizer vaccine, to begin in Feb.
- 5, including pregnant woman, fatally shot in Indianapolis
- 2 hikers rescued after 1 lost shoes, ran barefoot in snow
- Wilkerson's 'Caste' among finalists for book critics awards
- AP source: Nationals agree to sign All-Star closer Brad Hand
- Si Woo Kim holds off Cantlay to win The American Express
- Campaign official: Former White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders is running for governor of Arkansas