FOUR SEASONS GARDEN CLUB BRINGS SALMON STORY TO STUDENTS -- Something "fishy" happened at the Orleans Elementary School a few weeks ago. Maria Young, education and outreach director at Northwoods Stewardship Center, taught over 100 students from St. Paul's and Orleans Elementary schools all about the Atlantic salmon during a presentation sponsored by the Four Seasons Garden Club. Children from both schools gathered in Orleans on March 12 and learned all about the salmon's "epic journey to the Kingdom." Young had a colorful PowerPoint presentation that held the interest of the children and adults alike, and she also brought a couple very large preserved fish with her for the students to see up close. The students learned how to identify other local, familiar fish species including brook trout as well as historical aspects of fishing in the northeast and how fish populations are maintained. Facilitating and providing programs from Northwoods Stewardship Center to local schools is part of the garden club's purpose of stimulating and furthering environmental education.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
A subscription opens up access to all our online content, including: our interactive E-Edition, a full archive of modern stories, exclusive and expanded online offerings, photo galleries from Caledonian-Record journalists, video reports from our media partners, extensive international, national and regional reporting by the Associated Press, and a wide variety of feature content.
- NH attorney general faces 2nd public hearing for court post
- EU summit assesses virus restrictions amid worrying reports
- Albania expels Russian diplomat, citing lockdown breaches
- Natiruts, Marley, Aparicio sing for unity of the Americas
- At walk-in vaccine site, long lines end with peace of mind
- Biden, Harris urged to 'repair the breach' in prayer service
- Police detain aides of Russian opposition leader Navalny
- Kerry laments 'wasted years' in climate fight under Trump
- Judge: NY lawsuit seeking NRA's dissolution can go forward
- Maine officials join push to protect Voting Rights Act
- Vermont officials to announce COVID-19 vaccine details
- AKA sorority members celebrate Kamala Harris inauguration