EAD > Furlough Denied For Greg Reed

Furlough Denied For Greg Reed

By Gail P. Montany Staff Writer

Greg Reed, a former St. Johnsbury state legislator convicted of being an accessory to a 1984 murder here, will not be out on furlough in the immediate future.

At a special meeting April 27 in Waterbury, corrections officials determined Reed needed further programming before he would be allowed to live at a Burlington "halfway house," as he had requested at his Parole Board hearing in December.

Reed, 45, was convicted for his part in the shooting death of Rene Savage Jr. in the summer of 1985 shortly after Savage and another man carried out an arson at Reed's behest.

The state parole board determined last December that Reed was ready for furlough, but at a special meeting that included corrections officials and Caledonia County victims' advocate Susan Carr, it was decided that Reed needed some further programming.

Citing confidentiality, no one in an official capacity at the Department of Corrections would confirm whether indeed Reed's furlough was denied; however, Carr said those participating in the meeting did not indicate that fact was a secret.

Reports that Reed would be transferred to the Northern State Correctional Facility in Newport for six to 12 months of further programming could not also be confirmed.

Donal Hartman, former attorney for and now deputy commissioner of the corrections department, said although he is forbidden to answer questions about anything in Reed's or any other prisoner's file, he did confirm Reed is still in the prison system. In general, he added, the goal is to eventually release any offender to furlough or parole by the time they have served their maximum sentence.

Reed is serving a 19-years-to-life sentence for being an accessory to the shooting murder of Savage, whose body was found in a shallow grave in a Waterford gravel pit. Savage was killed to silence him about an arson that had occurred in St. Johnsbury a few weeks earlier. At Reed's bidding, Savage and James Rivers of Lyndon, set fire to a historic Eastern Avenue building with the plan that Reed's own building next door would be destroyed and big insurance money could be collected. Rivers and Reed killed Savage because they believed he would expose their parts in the arson.

Rivers, now 35, was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to 12-to-50 years. He was released on parole April 26 in St. Albans.

Michael Coxon, superintendent of the Southeast State Correctional Facility in Windsor, said Reed is still incarcerated there.

& nbsp;

Copyright 1999

The Caledonian-Record



Load comments