By ROGER LeCOURS

News Correspondent

The dormant proposal for a 27-mile bike path through Hardwick, Greensboro and Craftsbury has been renewed by Richard Dabiri, transportation consultant for the Northeastern Vermont Development Association.

Town Manager Dan Hill recently met with Dabiri and Greensboro representatives to hear an updated analysis of the project. Hill has reported to the selectboard on that meeting.

A conceptual alignment analysis for the bike path was drawn up nearly three years ago and select boards in all three towns gave it thoughtful consideration but no action was taken.

At that time, costs for building the path were estimated at $1,305,036 with the state paying 90 percent and each of the towns participating in funding the remaining 10 percent.

If the towns agree to reconsider the bike path, the state would still pay 90 percent of the costs.

Hill said Dabiri would like a letter of support from the town after he provides an updated report on the project costs. The manager noted there appears to be support for the bike path in Greensboro.

The starting point for the bike loop would be on Wolcott Street in Hardwick and it would go up the Center Road, which would have to be widened by 4 to 6 feet in some places.

Hill said new ditching and culverts would be required and the wider road base would mean added costs for new paving.

The bike path will again be discussed by the Hardwick selectboard when Dabiri's updated report is received.

In other business Thursday night, the selectboard decided to purchase a 1999, 33,000 GVW heavy duty truck from Clark Truck Center for $49,430. J & amp;B International entered a bid of $45,487.51 but did not meet some of the minimum required specifications, Hill said.

Copyright 1999

The Caledonian-Record

http://www.caledonian-record.com/

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments