CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire is considering a different approach than its neighbors when it comes to allowing out-of-state residents back in its hotels and other lodging establishments.

In an effort to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, such accommodations would be limited to New Hampshire residents or out-of-staters who have quarantined at home for 14 days before arrival, according to a proposal submitted Thursday to the Economic Reopening Task Force.

In Vermont, hotels and other lodging will open May 22 to Vermont residents and those who have quarantined in Vermont for 14 days, with the quarantine requirements removed on June 15. Similarly, Maine lodging will open June 1 for Maine residents and out-of-staters who quarantine in Maine. That date originally had been July 1 but the restrictions were later loosened.

The proposal under consideration in New Hampshire would be an update to recommendations approved by the task force on May 12. Those recommendations included a May 22 opening date, but public health officials and Gov. Chris Sununu haven't acted on them yet.

The task force also heard proposals Thursday related to road races, driver's education and the tattoo and esthetics industries. Some members also pushed for revisiting previous rules on the reopening of hair salons, particularly one that limits appointments to one hour.

“It has hampered the salons that have opened,” said Sen. Sharon Carson, R-Londonderry. “We should send a strong recommendation from the task force to let them do their jobs and give them the time they need.”

Other coronavirus developments in New Hampshire:

———

UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIMS:

More than 8,000 initial unemployment claims were filed in New Hampshire last week, down more than 1,500 from the previous week, the U.S. Department of Labor reported Thursday.

The latest number covers new claims through May 16.

The number of new claims in a week peaked at 39,000 in early April and has since been declining.

George Copadis, commissioner of New Hampshire Employment Security, said Wednesday that 182,000 people have filed for initial claims in the last eight weeks. Over the last five years, a total of 153,000 people filed initial claims.

———

THE NUMBERS

As of Thursday, 3,935 people in New Hampshire had tested positive for the virus, an increase of 67 from the previous day. Nine new deaths were announced, bringing the total to 199.

For most people, the virus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough, that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and the infirm, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, or death.

———

Associated Press Writer Kathy McCormack contributed to this report.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments