Join with youth mentors and mentoring programs around the country Jan. 11 and help inspire others to learn about mentoring and how they can make a difference in the life of a child. Now in its 11th year, National Mentoring Month focuses attention on the need for mentors, as well as how each of us-individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, faith communities and nonprofits-can work together to increase the number of mentors to assure brighter futures for our young people.
Together, the Harvard School of Public Health, MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership and the Corporation for National and Community Service are working to focus national attention on the need for mentors. This year's National Mentoring Month theme is "Invest in the future; Mentor a child."
How can you help?
1. Share the OCMP Website with others, mentoring programs and supporters of mentoring: http://neklsvt.org/community-education/mentoring-program/
2. In January, talk about what mentoring has meant to you.
3. On Jan. 11, post your experience about being a mentor on our Facebook Page. Here is some sample messaging you can use:
"Did you know I am a mentor with The Orleans County Mentoring Project? Being a mentor to [first name of child] is rewarding and has helped me to [have fun, make a difference, learn new things, be a better parent, gain a better understanding of other cultures, etc.]. You can make a difference in as little as an hour a week. Find a mentoring opportunity in your local community today at www.NEKLSVT.org
4. Be sure to share our program in your social networking posts so people can learn more about the program and where you mentor.
5. Feel free to post comments and suggestions in newspapers and editorials so other mentors can learn about our program.